This site is not featured on any of the walks on this website as it was not visited using public transport - there is car parking near Hound Tor. The Hound Tor medieval village (SX74627880 Butler Vol. 1. Map 8, 7) is thought to have been under continuous occupation for a few hundred years. It started life as turf buildings possibly as early as the eighth century, these being later replaced by stone buildings that were in use until around 1350. The last photos include two showing heather growing on the walls and the last two are of a section of the east of Hound Tor and the last is of Greator Rocks.
These photos were taken on the 1st August 2010.
Butler, J. Dartmoor Atlas of Antiquities: Vol. 1. - The East (Devon Books, 1991)
Chapman, Lesley The Ancient Dwellings of Grimspound & Hound Tor (Orchard Publications, 1996)
Gerrard, S. Dartmoor (Batsford & English Heritage, 1997) (Chapter 5 Medieval Dartmoor: a hive of industry)
The Legendary Dartmoor website has an excellent and very comprehensive discussion of this site, see Houndtor Settlement
Richard Knight's Dartmoor Walks has a page with a suggested walk Houndtor medieval village
Page last updated 5/8/11