This site is featured on the Postbridge: multiple sites on Dunnabridge Pound near Bellever walk. The photos here are of Dunnabridge Pound (SX64627465 Butler Vol. 2, Map 28.1). This structure was originally a prehistoric pound was according to Butler first recorded in use in historic times in 1342. The prehistoric pound was reused as one of the pounds used during the four annual drifts to hold cattle that had been illegally pasturing on pastures in this vicinity of the moor. The cattle so held would be released upon the payment of a fine. The pound-keeper probably made use of the Judge's Chair - which is a structure built in historic times despite claims by early Dartmoor writers that it was druidical or prehistoric. Whilst it is likely that there once hut circles within the pound these are no longer discernible.
The photos below were taken on the 15th May 2010.
Butler, J. Dartmoor Atlas of Antiquities: Vol. 2. - The North (Devon Books, 1991)
Butler, J. Dartmoor Atlas of Antiquities: Vol. 5. - The Second Millennium B.C. (Devon Books, 1997)
Page last updated 7/8/11