This site is featured on the Postbridge: Soussons Circle, Cator Pound, Challacombe walk. These photos are of Challacombe Down Triple Stone Row (SX68968086 Butler Vol. 2. Map 24, 3). This row was first reported in 1828 when most of the stones were in the same position they are found today. Some of the lower end of the row was damaged by mining operations. A few stones were re-erected within the rows by Burnard and Baring-Gould in 1893. One of these is set incorrectly across the middle row near its downhill end. Another 14 stones were re-erected where they were found outside of the rows near this which has created the rather strange arrangement towards the bottom of the hill as can be seen today. Worth comments that despite an attempt to "to re-erect these in the places 'they should have been' ... nothing coherent came out of that". It is possible these stones were originally moved from the bottom end of the stone row. There is no visible cairn or burial associated with this stone row although it could well be buried. In 1893 there were 103 stones visible where as today there are only 82 still visible. The drop in height by half a meter of the large terminal stone at the top of the hill explains the fate of the "missing" stones that are buried in the ground or under vegetation.
These photos were taken on the 18th April 2010.
See also: Guide to Dartmoor Stone Rows
Butler, J. Dartmoor Atlas of Antiquities: Vol. 2. - The North (Devon Books, 1991)
Worth, R.H. Worth's Dartmoor (David & Charles, 1971) p.226.
Page last updated 6/8/11